It’s currently 10:30 PM in
I just want to explain power outages here
This morning we woke up around 8:30 AM and had breakfast with Kamal. We went over some logistical things about our apartment and some other things we need – we’re trying to get a broom to sweep, and a radio so that we can start playing Indian music all the time. When we were driving with Joy’s son he was playing sick nasty Indian music and so Michelle and I have started keeping a list of all the radio stations we see him play so that we’ll know how to do it ourselves.
After breakfast, Kamal’s servant, Suresh, went with us to help us buy some fruits, vegetables, and milk from the roadstands that line the streets around Kamal’s apartment. It was awesome that he went with us because now we know where everything is and we can shop on our own – and we also know how much everything costs, so we won’t get ripped off just because we’re white when we go to buy something. We bought tomatoes, cucumbers, bananas, mangoes, and this awesome fruit that Uncle first gave us when we were staying with Maya called litchi. On the outside they don’t’ look very good, they’re tiny and the skin is really tough, but when you peel them the inside is so sweet and juicy! And the taste will always remind us of Mayadidi and Uncle, since it was one of the first things we ate with them. Without Uncle to help me open it, I still haven’t been able to open mine without it exploding the juice all over me.
Around 11, Kamal called the skin doctor for me to set up another appointment to check out my serious case of leprosy, and Michelle and I headed there on a rickshaw. I am really so impressed by the healthcare system here – or at least, the kinds of healthcare Kamal has been able to secure for us. There is literally a hospital right in front of our building, and Kamal has personally introduced us to the manager there and given us his cellphone number in case of emergency, and this skin doctor person is right down the road and agreed to see me straight away, ahead of any of his another patients. (I think another thing is that Kamal is just an amazing woman with all types of connections, so she makes everything much easier). Anyway we showed up at the skin doctor’s … the waiting room was PACKED this time and I am not kidding when I say that every single head in a room the size of a small bedroom was staring at me while I checked in with the receptionist. I made the mistake of turning around to observe them all and almost burst out laughing – I still can’t get used to every head turning my way. Michelle and I are just waiting for one of the rickshaw drivers or men on bicycles and motorbikes to crash into each other because when they drive by us on the road, every single one stares over their shoulder at us while driving straight ahead!! Anyway, the doctor saw me in about five minutes for no charge since he’d seen me a few days ago. My rash has been doing so much better thanks to what he prescribed me a few days ago, and he gave me some more stuff to keep things under control for the next two weeks. Medicine was even cheaper this time, only 76 rupees – and 50 rupees = 1 dollar!
After the doctor’s, we headed to Balson’s, which is the small store Kamal took us to a few days ago, to buy a more heavy-duty flashlight in case the power totally fails on us one of these nights. The man who runs the store there is so good to us – they actually didn’t have the kind of flashlight we needed, so he sent someone to another store to buy one for us and sat us down in front of a big fan and gave us some cool lemon drink to have while we waited – for free! Again Kamal’s awesome connections are really helping us out!!
When we came home, Suresh showed us how to light our stove upstairs so that we could boil the milk and make it safe to drink. Michelle got over her fear of matches! Our first attempt to boil the milk was a fail though – we heated up pan first, and the milk is packaged in this awkward plastic bag instead of a bottle, so we couldn’t pour it in fast enough and burnt straight away. The second time was a little better and we put it on a lower heat, but then it almost exploded into a giant messy cappuccino. Thank goodness we have lightning fast reflexes and turned the stove off before we got milk EVERYWHERE J We also rinsed out all the containers Kamal has given us to store our food. The way the sink works is a little interesting, its just a pipe that goes into the ground, and lets just say it didn’t handle all the soap I was giving it so well…I looked down, wondering why my feet were wet, and there was a giant lake forming beneath the sink, complete with giant piles of soapy suds. Awesome. At least the floor got cleaned.
Afterwards I went downstairs to have lunch with Kamal and Michelle took a little afternoon siesta. She’s still being careful and making sure she is sleeping when she needs it so that her fever and sore throat don’t come back. When she woke up we talked for awhile about our plans over the next few weeks – all the places we want to visit and all the different sites we want to see in
Then Joy called us to let us know that he couldn’t meet with us to go over plans for the next few weeks because an AIDS patient he has been working with was in the hospital and wasn’t doing well. We are just hoping everything is OK. We’re going to meet him tomorrow around 10 AM to talk, which will be great for us. After we talked I took a nap of my own – actually what really happened is that I passed out midconversation with Michelle and she snuck out to blog for a few hours. When we woke up, we went downstairs to spend some time with Kamal. She really is such an awesome woman – she has a hysterical personality and is always making Michelle and I laugh with another one of her stories. She has rented the rooms we are staying in now, along with several others, out to different women in the past around our age or a little older who have all come to Allahabad for different reasons. They have come from all over the world too –
14 comments:
I have to stop reading these in public places...I laugh so hard I cry sometimes. Keep them coming. Love you, Mom (Debbie)
By: Anonymous on June 2, 2009 at 2:47 AM
We are reading all of your postings. Sandy, Owen, and I went camping this weekend on the Chesapeake Bay where Sandy went to camp as a little kid. Let's be clear - I am not the camping type and neither is Owen. Sandy and Elisha are better suited. Anywho - a weekend with limited amenities reminded me of your posting with one exception, I was ready to make a dash to the local Holiday Inn! Be well.
Uncle Mike
By: Uncle Mike on June 2, 2009 at 6:36 AM
I told you that Abbas told me to warn you about those darn mosquitoes! hope your skin clears up asap. oh p.s. i know you havent had much interaction so far but have you asked joy about abbas yet?
Peace & Love
Tristan
By: tristan on June 2, 2009 at 7:16 AM
Dear Katie and Michelle,
I have been reading your awesome writings about your experiences. It will turn into such a wonderful journal of your time in India. I must say, I am feeling a lot better about you being there. Katie knows how nervous I was when I learned you both were going. It sounds like you are settling in and are being well cared for by your hosts. I am so glad. Please continue to be safe. I look forward to reading about your experiences working with the children. God bless you and the work you do there. We are all so proud of you! Love, Mrs. Tschoepe
By: Anonymous on June 2, 2009 at 10:46 AM
so, guess who just realized she could leave comments! (Thanks for mentioning it in your last post, Michelle =])
And now, a couple things I've wanted to say for a while...
1) YAY! You're safe and having a fun and amazing experience! I am a lovely mixture of relief, elation, and a dash of envy. lol.
2) This blog was a brilliant idea. I look forward to living vicariously through you guys and just knowing what you're up to. I'm pretty sure I've told everyone I've ever met about what you guys are doing and they all agree that you're pretty baller.
3) KATIE! Te extraño tanto! Also, I am still unpacking. My room is worse than ours was during finals. bahaha! nojoke.
You girls are incredibly inspiring and I'm incredibly proud and honored to know you both(even though Michelle and I only met once teehee!). Stay safe and keep smiling. I'm praying for you!
Harmonies tidings,
Ashley
(hahah "harmonies tidings" lol!=D)
By: Ashley on June 2, 2009 at 11:28 AM
p.s. - way to get rid of the "Ashley cough" only to a rash. hahaha! take your meds and don't sleep with your contacts in! <333
By: Ashley on June 2, 2009 at 11:30 AM
Hi Ladies - great blogs! I almost feel like I'm right there with you. I am glad things are coming together - sounds like you are getting the royal treatment! It's strange being a spectacle isn't it? I remember one time I had to hide in the bushes in Chengdu China while my Taiwanese colleague hailed a taxi because they were afraid to pick up a Westerner!
Looking forward to bathroom adventure #4......
take care and be safe
Love,
Dad
By: Joe on June 2, 2009 at 11:52 AM
Love this blog, great idea; keeping close eyes for updates on a regular basis.
Looks like Katie you got stung by those infamous Baguiati mosquitoes. Remember what our daughter told you about her experiences w/them? They are nasty, and unless treated those rashes stay on for quite some time. Keep using the medicine, it will eventually go away. I feel relieved to know that you are recovering well. Yeah, Indian doctors typically have a resident pharmacist. Pretty convenient, huh?
It's common to get lost inside the train during the wee hours. I could only imagine how poor Katie must have felt being lost amidst a compartment full of sleeping passengers. A word of caution, next time take the flashlight, and wake Michelle up to lookout for you. Safe too!
Great idea to visit Agra w/Joy+family. Try to schedule the trip during full moon, if possible. Nothing like watching the Taj in a moon-lit night. Don't miss the other 'places of interests' (Fatehpur Sikri, Agra Fort, etc.). Spend some time at the Fort, if you guys hire a guide ask him to explain the history, slowly (they are fast-talkers). Ask him to show the the pillar inside the fort, where Shah-Jehan was shackled/imprisoned by his own son Aurangzeb, and the little peep-hole through which Shah-Jehan used to look through to see the Taj, his beloved Mumtaj Mahal's tomb. Rich history the Mughal dynasty left in our country. Agra is congested, but the history is all worth it. A while ago Indian government mandated that electric buses (for tourists, going to see the Taj) be operated, to avoid the emission-pollution, which is slowly damaging the tomb, originally made of pure white marble.
Be well, stay alert
Asim
By: Asim Ghosh on June 3, 2009 at 8:57 AM
I love reading your blog, this is so interesting. I'm so glad everything has worked out well so far...what an exeprience! Stay safe, and keep us updated.
Love, Aunt Ann
By: Anonymous on June 3, 2009 at 9:31 AM
girls it sounds like you are having an amazing time!! i am so living vicariously through you, so keep posting please :). my parents also love hearing about your adventures. im so incredibly proud to say i know you and am amazed and how brave you both are. we all miss you though and cant wait to see you! continue doing beautiful work and staying safe!
xoxox
By: Jules on June 3, 2009 at 2:37 PM
Hey guys. It sounds like you are having a great time over there. I love coming home after a long day of work and being able to read about your adventures. They make me laugh which is exactly what I need by 5 pm. Keep updating!!! I've heard a lot about locomotives in India the past few days and everytime I think of you guys. Stay safe.
-Maria
By: Maria on June 4, 2009 at 7:19 AM
hello ladies! ahhh your blog captivates me everytime you post, i also make sure i am alone when i read them because i tend to laugh at the usual katie and michelle occurrences that are happening halfway around the world. you guys sound liek you are having an unbelievably amazing experience and i am so so so happy and relieved that you havent had any major or scary problems, aside from the bathroom disasters, which btw michelle i love you but i laughed for a straight 5 minutes. whenever you can please update the blog i miss you both infinite amounts i think you have started to work with the children by now so i hope it is going so well, i know it is. be safe and be healthy, katie i hope the leprosy -like rash is gone soon!
i love you both so much and miss you like crazy!
xoxoxoxoxoxo
love, anne
ps. michelle you will appreciate this, a few weeks ago i was at the movies. our favorite movie has a sequel. (alvin) i literally screamed in the theatre. everyone stared, literallly people turned in their seats. i would have been embarrassed if i wasnt so excited :) made me miss you more though!
this is officially a novel. hmm :)
By: Anne on June 4, 2009 at 1:39 PM
hi im commenting again because michelle i must tell you that anne literally went "OH MY GOD" so loud... in a rather full movie theater... and we all went where are katie and michelle???? oh, in india. also, the sequel is called the "squeakwel"
By: Jules on June 4, 2009 at 4:47 PM
loving the posts ladies. you two worked so hard for this. glad it's already such an amazing experience!
~bryn
By: Unknown on June 4, 2009 at 10:58 PM
Post a Comment